27 Comments

1. says:

07/11/2009 at 11:36 am

in the video link you said that os gemeos ask you not to shoot video because it was a blanket request from their gallery.

1) it’s a public street, you can shoot anything you want, and nobody can prevent from doing so according to the law.

2) either os gemeos are not well versed in the laws of the USA and of the city of new york, and I don’t know if the gallery owners know this, or coyly made os gemeos to tell people otherwise, or maybe os gemeos phrased it wrong and should have said "please don’t publish the video" instead of "don’t shoot the video"…. maybe otavio and gustavo are masters of the law and just trying to discourage documentation by trying to exploit the fears and ignorance of people who don’t know the law.

just keep documenting, incl. video. whether or not you want to publish it, it is up to you. personally, i would still videotape it, but for the time being don’t publish the video.

2. says:

07/11/2009 at 6:36 pm

3. says:

07/12/2009 at 12:48 am

I passed by there and saw gustavo in between signing autographs, and eagerly policing the crowd on the lookout for people with iphones and video cameras and quietly asking them about video on their devices.

I approached gustavo and asked him what gallery they were painting for — deitch projects. I asked him about the no video policy, and the reasoning behind it. he said the gallery didn’t want people videographing the process. I asked him if they (deitch) were doing a video, or coming out with some sort of dvd. he said they want to "respect" the spirit of the mural? or some mumbo jumbo to that effect.

4. says:

07/11/2009 at 5:48 am

5. says:

07/12/2009 at 5:29 am

that is ridiculous. since when can deitch stipulate what happens on the street?! clearly the interest in this mural has been enormous – why try to stifle that?

6. says:

07/12/2009 at 9:41 pm

Save the video you’ve edited, and one day charge Dietch for the rights for them to use it! 😉

If they’re not being documented on video by Dietch or someone else, what’s up with that? I want to see the “Making Of” featurette! Os Gemeos should get a documentary crew to follow them around.

7. says:

07/14/2009 at 2:06 am

Well, Mal, I guess video is OK for some people. Who knows? I would have edited together a cool documentation of the process. They are amazing artists, I’ll check the mural out again when it is done.

Are you blog soup mal?