14 Comments

1. says:

03/30/2007 at 2:58 am

Yeah it is, those were made from salvaged floor joists and old doors! They did the job though I almost collapsed one by accident at 117 Ave C in 1975 when a huge chunk of cornice stone fell off the top of the wall while I was prying on a keystone nearby, the stone landed on the scaffold about 10 feet below which then started to sway out towards the street!

You can see where the stone was in the bottom photo, in the center of it over a large square panel, to the left over the blue doors you can see what the rest of it looked like (though that was smaller) and how much fell down;

The first photo shows what fell down a little better.

The hole over the window to the right was where I was working and I jiggled the brick wall just enough with my crowbar to topple that stone a few feet away, so it was not very stable or secure when the workers left for the day if that’s all it took.

The scaffold took the weight, swayed out maybe a foot and then slowly came back- lucky there!

2. says:

11/14/2007 at 10:41 am

they tried to cover the ever-widening crack with some patches of asphalt, but even the asphalt is coming apart. take a look at it next time you are walking by. it is more distinctive toward 7th street than toward 6th street.

3. says:

02/09/2009 at 10:10 am

I live right there, I’m sorry to be a Debi Downer, but I think the metal panels look like crap.The panels are very dull metal except the small reflective squares.
    It doesn’t look so bad in this pic, though.

4. says:

02/19/2009 at 6:06 am

Thanks all. What I wonder is why they want to make everyone look through that mesh. Isn’t one of the nice things about being inside is being able to look outside? Also what is being in that Faraday cage going to do to radio and cell phone reception.

5. says:

02/25/2009 at 5:43 am

Looks like a total monstrosity, I never cease to be amazed at what the Landmarks Preservation allows to be destroyed while saving some dumpy non-descript building. They allowed Wash Sq park’s area character to be completely destroyed for NYU’s monstrosities on the South side, now this horrid looking warped glass box and that high rise warped looking glass box on the other side next to a historic building like Cooper.

6. says:

02/25/2009 at 6:56 am

I can’t get too worked up over the old academic building, it was no architectural wonder. But the line of spaceship looking things that have landed on the Bowery are something else. I wish they were in someone else’s neighborhood. :)