21 Comments

1. says:

09/24/2006 at 5:29 pm

fantastic!!!!! loved it…. it took me a few moment to figure out how to reduce/recede the closeup (didn’t see the ” – ” negative and ” + ” first time around—but got it once i put my mind to it and moved the cursor a few times–but i moved it around the image at first NOT on it, and until i hit the area just above the title “Webster Hall” where that house/arrow form appeared, which reduced the close-up…then i went back and tried again and then saw the – and + and clicked…ah… easy..

oh well, that’s me–not a great sampling of techKnowhow (that’s a ps neologism~!)

2. says:

09/24/2006 at 5:42 pm

Yeah Mike I concur with Patrice, this is absolutely awesome work! you have outdone yourself now. This is not only interesting, but well laid out.
    It only took a couple of seconds to see how the navigation goes, but it worked well.

If I were to choose between your two flash movies which is best, for me I think I prefer the static image with hotspots rather than the moving panning images, though they both have their place in something like this- the Merchant’s building was too big and tall to capture in one photo while the Hall worked well for one large photo and it’s lower height.
    Now you’ve gone a done it to me Mike! now I’m all excited about that big keystone and one of the squares upstairs with the deep relief flowers, well, I still have about 800 pounds of clay on hand…

I just finished the underwindow Griffin panel, I’ll put them on flickr but for now they are here;

3. says:

09/24/2006 at 9:35 pm

I did a little more research and believe I may have at least a clue, hopefully the guy I just emailed will reply back. I believe that keystone is the Greek God Zeus, and the two under window panels are Pegasus- winged horses, though the heads are not good horse heads or they are styled a bit- they do have horse hooves and Pegasus is associated with Zeus.
    Here’s a carving of Zeus- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bust_of_Zeus.jpg

So it is highly likely the architect chose these particular ornaments as part of a theme- they fit together, or at least they appear to till I find out otherwise.

4. says:

09/26/2006 at 12:51 am

Found out a bit about the architect, he is hardly “renowned” as claimed in Wikipedia, a check of that database I gave you shows 51 buildings by him from 1900 forward and almost all of them are tenements, one story outhouses, 3 story factories and pretty insignificant stuff, makes me wonder how HE ever got the contract to design this hall.

5. says:

09/26/2006 at 11:15 pm

Oh boy Gamma, this updated version is even better still! I like how you did that long panel upstairs so one can scroll across it in stages.
    Did you happen to notice the real tiny leaf-man face bottom center of the lyre in the middle of that panel between the two griffins? It’s probably no bigger than a silver dollar.
    The trident arrow tip on that lyre up there probably suggests the male keystone is more likely Poseidon- brother of Zeus;

“The other divinities attributed to Poseidon involve… and the god of horses.

The symbols associated with Poseidon include: dolphins, tridents, and three-pronged fish spears. He also impregnated the Gorgon Medusa to conceive Chrysaor and Pegasus, the flying horse”

So that’s as likely an explanation as any- Poseidon on the keystone, Pegasus on the panels, the lyre with the 3 spears which is associated with this.

That lyre is about 20″ tall, that and the 2 griffins on either side of it would be an interesting model if made a little smaller, that whole panel is just huge.

6. says:

09/27/2006 at 8:28 am

I’m still working on this movie. I’ll probably add more details today. Adding all the interactivity is a lot more work than you might think. But once I set it up, I hope to be able to use the code for similar projects. Yeah I noticed the little green man. I’ll try to get a better shot of him.

7. says:

09/27/2006 at 9:20 pm

I’ll take a look now!
    Oh yeah I can imagine all the behind the scenes work you are doing on this- it shows, but you are producing a really unique presentation here and once you have the format/layout sort of down to a template, if you do others it should be easier.

8. says:

09/27/2006 at 9:26 pm

Just looked, you did add some more interesting closeups, I like how this works and of course seeing the sculptures up close is a real treat.

This is all done in flash software?
    I have never seen the creation aspect of this software, what’s possible and how it works- just the end products on the web.

9. says:

09/28/2006 at 11:44 pm

Cool gamma, at first I thought you replaced the interactive with an automatic, but I see now you have both, now that’s a great idea it works real well and I’m sure enjoying seeing all these details.
    I’ll bet a lot of people walk right by them every day and never notice.

What is your next plan?

I’m toying with the idea of replicating that large panel with the cherubs upstairs, but 25-50% smaller. Would be a huge project but it’s an interesting sculpture.

10. says:

09/29/2006 at 7:55 am

Randall, did the movie start up without you clicking that little rotating button?

I took a couple more photos yesterday. I’ll add add them today, maybe.

Yeah that cherub panel would be a massive project.

11. says:

09/29/2006 at 1:28 pm

The movie started up automatically after the title and brief pan across the facade when first opened- went automatically to begin showing the closeup details of the arched window.

Worked well for me.
    I am on a Mac with FireFox.
    Look forward to the new additions!

12. says:

09/29/2006 at 4:43 pm

OK, I think I fixed that. Also I added a cool photo of one of the dragon lamps, plus controls to go backwards and forward within the movie sequence.

13. says:

09/29/2006 at 9:20 pm

Even better Gamma! It now allows initial choices movie or interative without the autostart.

I found the two new additions,
    The piece upstairs is called a festoon or swag, it repeats across the facade. It was a very popular design back then- was used everywhere! Usually it was made of fruit, but also leaves or just interestingly positioned cloth or drapery allowing parts of it to crease and fold a little- either kind made interesting sculptures, but used on wallpaper borders, furniture etc too.

funny thing- those lamps do not excite me at all for some reason, I am guessing they are original but they seem like they were added on later as an afterthought or replicas.

I have seen much higher quality ones similar- in an antique store, But I think the pair was $50,000
    they were huge, very ornate and solid bronze.
    Must be nice to be able to walk into an antique store and just buy a pair of $50,000 LAMPS the way you or I walk into a store to buy a new jacket.
    Have to run, LOTS to get done this weekend -no joke!

14. says:

09/29/2006 at 9:30 pm

Festoon or swag, ha, I love that there are names for such things.

That autostart of the movie was totally not intended. It may have been a bug in how Firefox displays the Flash.

15. says:

09/30/2006 at 3:24 pm

Yeah odd names, but there are formal names for every little ornament on the facade, and usually further broken down into additional terminology for each section on those- especially on cornices, moldings, columns and capitals.
    A lot of the terms go to Greek and Roman: Ogee, cyma recta, cyma reversa, cove, architrave, plinth, caulis, calicaulis, volute, lintel, frieze, quoins, anthemium and a hundred more!
    And all of the stuff was laid out and designed with various mathematics and geometry.
    We forget how much was handed down from the ancients in shapes, forms and designs.
    When you see on paper with drafting tools and compass how all of this is designed- especially pointed arch-top windows on churches it’s amazing, and simple once you see how it was done, but it all followed well laid out ground “rules” and tradition.

The auto start may have been firefox yes, every browser unfortunately works differently on content and tags, it’s insane.

16. Trois Tetes says:

09/30/2006 at 4:40 pm

Great detail shots Michael, playing on auto is a brilliant way to slow down and take them in

17. says:

10/02/2006 at 10:25 pm

Mike!! This is ultra-cool. I let it play on auto cause I’m feeling a bit lazy tonight. That said, it worked like a charmer and I got to see parts of that building that I never knew existed. So cool. The zooming-in on the details was a pleasure. Next time I go by Webster Hall, I’ll be sure to scope it out better. I also enjoyed reading the history and comments above.

I used to see bands there when it was The Rock Hotel and then The Ritz. All that time and I never knew I was dancing in a joint once inhabited by all these historical figures. Also, my friend Susana belonged to a Spanish dance group that used to practice in the basement of that building.

Thanks for creating and sharing this.

“If I can’t dance I don’t want to be in your revolution”
    - Emma Goldman

18. TK says:

12/05/2011 at 11:35 pm

I’m hoping that I’ll get a reply on this because the architecture and design of Webster Hall fascinates me. Higher up on the exterior of the building there are four designs that I find very attractive and was wondering what they might be. Just by looking they appear to be some interpretation of a pineapple (as a symbol of welcome) but I can’t be sure.

Thanks in advance! I know it’s been a number of years but any response would be appreciated.