10 Comments

1. tuco says:

06/23/2006 at 6:22 pm

who are you to say what is art? or for that matter, what is beautiful or not? granted, we all have the right to our own likes and dislikes. but just because you don’t understand something is no reason to call it stupid!

2. Andy says:

06/23/2006 at 8:14 pm

…I think that’s just rubble.

Andy’s Law of Art: If a piece of Art is indiscernible from Garbage, it Is Not Art.

3. says:

06/24/2006 at 8:23 am

It originally appeared to be a statement of our essential interdepedence, Bill Withers singing “Lean on Me” if Bill Withers were a brick and some rebar. Then, destroyed, it veered into the usual hackneyed topic of man’s inhumanity to man, or brick, as it were. I’m quite moved, actually.

4. Matt says:

06/24/2006 at 9:24 am

“who are you to say what is art?”

Hey I’m not denying its art, im saying its a piece of shit. If everyone says “hmmm, well it looks shit to me, but its ART!” then we’d have steaming piles of shit on every street corner, with no discernment whatsoever.

And if your moved by vandalism and you live in New York then i hope you have big hanky because your going to be quite moved on every street corner.

5. says:

06/24/2006 at 8:43 pm

I hope everyone realizes that the second photo is essentially rubble, the remnants of a street art piece that was smashed to pieces.

6. says:

07/01/2006 at 8:53 am

Matt, although I do not live in New York, when I visit I do carry a very big hanky. No, two very big hankies: one to cover my eyes and nose, and the other to stuff in my mouth. I navigate the grid by the sound of all culture and art–high and low,sacred and profane– being smashed to tiny nonsensical bits. It is a great work called “The Death of Irony.” I suggest you carry your hankies, too, and learn to better appreciate Art.